Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Zane's story part 2

I printed off the pictures and small amount of information we had been given and headed to work that night. I has asked Ben if we could get the medical record so we could find out just was what done at the hospital. He said that he could request it, but that it would need to be translated. I was faced with the idea that we would have to make the decision to accept or decline this baby with practically no information. How were they going to get us a translated medical record within the 10 days we had to decide?
I went to work that evening and didn't do a very good job. Every new physician who walked through the door got Yared's information thrust under his or her nose. Meanwhile I was looking up every possible cause of bowel obstruction and their prognoses. By the end of the weekend I had spoken to many physicians and there was a general consensus. Do not accept the baby. Bowel obstructions in a small infant are even more problematic, than those in older babies. What could have caused the low hemoglobin which made the transfusion necessary? Was there some sort of underlying coagulopathy, or did he just lose blood from a home birth? Only one physician encouraged me to accept the baby. All the rest said that the risk that this baby would turn out to have significant chronic problems was too high. One physician even sat down and talked me through all the testing that would have to be done to find out what was wrong and what therapies would be needed. It was so hard for me. I looked at his face, and his body and he looked like a healthy baby. How could he be sick? One of my physician friends asked me if I would even be considering him had I not seen the picture and I had to say "no".

No comments: