Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Zane's story part 1




So I finally got around to reading some comments people have posted. It's odd to me that anyone actually reads my blog. But I have been told to blog more. I used to do a weekly update before I got on facebook, and now all I seem to do is play bejeweled blitz. I am going to try to turn a new leaf and spend time posting to better keep in touch. Heather I love that fact that we can talk about our 6 children. I will always appreciate being invited over to your zoo...home. I'm sure I will soon feel the same way...sometimes I already do.
Now that the adoption is final I am able to tell you Zane's story. It is rather long so I'm going to break it up into segments. It was October 15, 2 weeks after we had received Seth's referral that we got the phone call. We had anticipated getting the second referral days after the first, so it had been a very difficult 2 weeks. Ben called in the morning and I had to work that night so I was resting. He told me that he had a referral for us. I was so excited. I wanted a little baby and I was sure that we were going to get an 11m/o because Dave wanted an older baby. So I steeled myself to hear about the baby.
Ben told me that he had been abandoned and that they had named him Yared. He was is Soddo the same orphanage as Seth. He then told me that Yared had undergone surgery for an obstruction. Being an RN I immediately asked what kind of obstruction. Ben said that they didn't have that information. He went on to tell me that Yared had also received a blood transfusion. My mind was whirring as I considered all the implications of this information. Ben said that the doctor that did the surgery had stated that there would be no follow-up needed, but that it was a complete fix. I was thinking that as a mother of 6 I was supposed to take the word of a surgeon that he had completely fixed the problem. I was trying to think of all the different maladies that would cause a bowel obstruction in an older baby. I asked Ben just how old he was and he said that Yared had been abandoned on Sept 16th when he was about 2 weeks old, so he was about a month an a half old then. I was swept away. This was the youngest referral I had ever heard of. He was born right around my birthday too. I went to the computer and pulled up his sweet little face and immediately fell in love.

1 comment:

Aaron and Heather said...

Ok, Maia... now you have us hooked and we want to hear the rest of the story! I know it takes a while to write these things out, but don't wait too long... ;-)
I can totally relate to seeing the sweet face of your child and getting "hooked." Most all else fades into the background at that point. I remember thinking that with Maria- on paper, the list of "problems" seemed enormous and overwhelming, but once we looked at her and saw the real little girl- she was OUR girl who happened to be facing some obstacles. Some expensive and time consuming obstacles to be sure, but SO worth it!!