Monday, April 9, 2012

Coming Home

I have this sense that I am missing out on much of my life with the boys because I'm not recording it in any way. It's been over a year that I posted to this blog. I started it to keep my family updated on our activities, then it morphed into an adoption journey. Now I want to meander with my thoughts and keep up on the boys lives so that we have something tangible to look back on and remember.

We have just come home from 6 days of spring break vacation at Universal Studios. Dave and I had been to the Universal in LA, but never Orlando. We decided to take this trip because Bren and Jace were close to finishing the Harry Potter series. We wanted to take them to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter while the story was fresh in their minds. Tonight is my first night back at work and I feel like I have been gone for ages rather than just a week. It was interesting to have a time when the most important thing to know was the length of the line at the next ride I wanted to go on. Rather than contemplating suffering, or grieving over loss, or trying to keep up with all that is demanding my attention in life, I got to stand in line, talk to my boys, and consider what was the next thrill we would pursue. There was talk about holiness, and living in a way that is holy. There was talk of social norms, ie. don't continually bump into the person in front of you. There was the moment when someone said it was "Unnatural" for us to have black children in our family. The difference between this and normal life was that nothing we were concerned about lasted more than a few minutes.

So now I have gone through the mail and made a list of all the stuff I have to catch up on and emailed Dave about all the stuff he has to catch up on. I am still holding onto vacation euphoria. Hopefully it will last as the cares and suffering of life worm their way back into my world. I had a nice afternoon though. Harry Potter robes + Harry Potter wands = an afternoon of play and no one asking about electronics. Priceless!!

No comments: