Sunday, November 9, 2008

Humility

So I've never been the most humble person in the world but recently I've realized just how much I don't deserve the compliments I'm getting. As we progress through the adoption process I get more and more comments about how "saintly" we are. Oh if only that were true. I'm as selfish as the next person if not more. I don't want to give up my dinners out, or my trips to Disney World or buying what I want when I want it. I love doing those things. If it weren't for the redeeming work of Christ in my life and the absolute belief that Dave and I are being called to love and care for more children we would happily spend our resources on ourselves. I don't deserve compliments. I'm being obedient to what God has told us to do and I believe that I will get so much out of this life as opposed to one that extra money would buy me. I have learned that the things the media and advertisers and our own bodies tell us is so important, usually serves to weigh us down and make us unhappy. I am trying to be content with the process, give the credit to God's work in my life, and focus on those things that have eternal significance rather than temporal.

No comments: